$50,000 Starting Salary + $3,000 Sign-on Incentive
+ Up to $1,500 Relocation Assistance*
MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF OTHERS AND YOUR OWN.
Few jobs have more impact on the lives of others than that of a MCSO Detention Officer. You’ll be helping ensure the safety and wellbeing of millions. And by so doing, impacting your own life by doing meaningful work and securing your future.
NOW OFFERING: PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
Enjoy up to six weeks for the birth or adoption of a child. Applies to all employees with one full year of employment.
*For those residing outside Maricopa County
A CAREER IS HERE FOR THE MAKING.
As a MCSO Detention Officer, your career opportunities are numerous. You can grow in rank (Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain), earn a position on other specialized detention teams, or even pursue other careers within MCSO, such as Deputy Sheriff, Dispatch or a variety of civilian positions.
Specialized Detention Officer Positions:
- Background Investigations
- Court Security
- Jail Intelligence
- K-9 Handler
- Recruit Training Officer
- Special Response Team
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
- Be an effective communicator, even in the most challenging of situations
- Care about the safety and wellbeing of others, both within and outside a jail setting
- Respect all individuals regardless of background or socio-economic status
- Embrace the concepts of integrity, accountability and transparency as core values
- Collaborate with team members, supervisors and managers to forward the mission and vision of MCSO
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older
- Must have a high school diploma or GED (or are expected to graduate/receive GED within 90 days from the beginning of training)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or be eligible to work in the U.S.
Physical Fitness Requirements for Graduation from the Detention Officer Academy
What is Measured by the Assessment:
Detention Officer Academy Standard
Upper Body Muscular Endurance
(Under One Minute)
Abdominal Muscular Endurance
1.5 Mile Run
300 Meter Run
1:37 Minutes (97 Seconds)
One (1) Repetition Bench Press
Upper Body Absolute Strength
90 Pounds or 53% of Body Weight, whichever is less
Illinois Agility Run (consists of sprints through and around cones)
Agility and Coordination
Explosive Leg Strength
Eleven (11) Inches (Fourteen  inches if measured with VERTEC)
Maricopa County offers a Total Compensation Package that includes competitive salaries and a comprehensive, affordable benefits package. Our generous benefit options are some of the best in Arizona and just one of the unique advantages of working for MCSO.
$42,640 Starting Pay
$3,000 sign-on incentive
Paid Parental Leave*
Up to $1,500 relocation assistance**
Paid Education and Training
Paid Holidays and vacation
* Employees with 12 months of continuous service with the County are eligible for up to 240 hours (6 weeks) of Paid Parental Leave for the birth or adoption of a child. This is in addition to paid vacation and sick leave.
**For those residing outside Maricopa County
Following a successful application process, post-hire participation in a paid, 12-week detention academy is required.